Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

PowderPuff at HC is preparing for the start of their season

Informational posters found around the school.

PowderPuff is upcoming and female athletes are preparing for the season. English Teacher Ahenewa El-Amin is helping bring the season together.

“We have typically about 4-10 practices,” El- Amin said. “Then we have a game so the season is really, really, short – maybe two weeks long.”

Along with being on the team, when you play there is some equipment that comes with it.

“The fee this year is $40,” El-Amin said. “That covers the uniform, and then the flags, and we usually don’t even use cleats, because injuries have occurred; you do not need a sports physical.”

There is also a large number of players from each class who can play on the team.

“As many as would like to come and play,” El-Amin said. “We usually try and limit it to 20 per class, but the more girls that there are, means the more coaches that I get.”

To get even more information on PowderPuff, El- Amin has passed out information papers during Advisory. For those who plan on playing there will be an informational meeting, as well.

“The whole point is that we hope we have attendance that is plenty,” El-Amin said. “On March 28th, we invite the entire student body, we sell tickets, they’ve been $3 to $5 dollars in the past, and we hope everybody comes to cheer for these girls on the field.”

Our team is called PowderPuff because our school doesn’t play other teams in the county, but the school has invited other teams to play us.

“We have PowderPuff, and we play within each other,” El-Amin said. “We’ve issued a statement to all of the high schools since we have those new expeditions outside that we can transport small groups of students that if anyone wants to send their girls here, to play us during our season, then they are welcome.”

PowderPuff is looking forward to their season and is really hoping to get a lot of girls this year. Students should be ready to go support the girls at their game on March 28th.