Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

HC Baseball sends seven seniors to the collegiate level

The+seven+seniors+stand+together+for+photos+after+the+event.+
Sydney Cain
The seven seniors stand together for photos after the event.

On Friday March 1, seven seniors were celebrated as they made their commitments to college athletics official on their signing day. The event featured Walden Cole, Nore Day, Gio Gonzalez, Rogers Kobes, Jayden Parsons, Isaac Rone, and Chardy Tierney. All of these seniors play for the HC Baseball team, however, Cole decided to continue his football career at Georgetown College. The rest will play baseball at the next level. The signing was attended by family, friends, and much of the HC Baseball program.

“[Eastern Kentucky University] gave me a good scholarship,” Tierney said. “I think that it’s a good place close to home. I really enjoyed the coaches, and I know some people going there.”

Tierney signed to play division I baseball at Eastern Kentucky University, alongside other teammates continuing their careers at several other schools.

“It means a lot,” Tierney said. “It means that [the senior class is] pushing towards the same goal, and want to be good versions of ourselves.”

As head coach Jordan Tarrence and the rest of the HC coaching staff sends the class of 2024 on their way, the community looks forward to watching them continue to pursue baseball.

“I know how hard the boys work,” Tarrence said. “It doesn’t matter what level you go play at, if you go play at the next level it is a lot of work, and it means you love the game. So part of it is you’re excited for them that they have the opportunity, but part of it is your happy that they enjoy the game enough that they want to keep playing. It’s exciting to see those guys want to go on and play longer.”

This year’s senior class is beginning to prepare the team through their use of leadership for their last season at HC before parting ways after graduation.

“[My goal is to be] able to help lead the team to a district,” Tierney said, “maybe even a region title, and all the way to state.”

The team has not won the 42nd District title since 2019, but came close in 2022 as runner-up. The class of 2024 is looking to win the district championship before leaving HC.

“We have twelve seniors this year,” Tarrence said. “Their goal is to win the district. They haven’t won the district in their career, so that’s their number one goal this year. After that you have higher goals, but that’s step one.”

The team shows unity and intensity as they near the start of the season. The HC community is hopeful for a prosperous season.

“I would say that this group’s success is yet to come,” Tarrence said. “But I know that they’re good teammates, they support each other, and there is good leadership. I think this group will have success due to the fact that there’s a lot of really hard workers. There’s a lot of kids that are good teammates, and like to play together.”

The class of 2024 is full of accomplished individuals who are determined to achieve more as a whole this season. HC will be traveling to West Jessamine High School for their first regular game of the season on March 12.