Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

HC Boys’ Basketball continues their undefeated season in 2024

Photo provided by HC Boys’ Basketball.

As the winter high school sports season carries over into January, boys’ basketball at HC is gaining traction. The team is currently undefeated with a record of 16-0. Their exceptional performance has made them a target for many of their upcoming opponents. The program remains persistent in their preparation for the rest of the season, emphasizing the celebrated HC tradition of boys’ basketball.

“It feels good right now,” HC head coach Daniel Brown said. “Let’s hope we can keep it going throughout the whole season. They enjoy playing together [and] they’re coach-able. I think that’s key.”

Brown has been coaching the HC Boys’ Basketball team for eighteen seasons and deeply values the history of the program. 

“We buy into tradition,” Brown said. “Our tradition here is over a hundred years of basketball. Our system [is] playing for one another, not [having] individual goals. We’re after team goals and I think that sets us apart.”

Team chemistry has been essential to the motivation and performance seen in this year’s players.

“[We] definitely enjoy playing together,” junior Hassan Bush said. “[We have] to keep playing, [knowing] everybody is trying to beat [us].”

On the night of Tuesday, January 9th, the team took on Scott County High School, another team in the eleventh region. HC finished with their sixteenth win of the season. The game took place at HC with a final score of 56-35. 

“[Our biggest challenge is] the eleventh region as a whole,” Brown said. “When you’re undefeated or you’re getting talked about, then you’re a target. You’re the hunted instead of the hunter. With a young team you’ve got to match that and know teams are going to love to give their best shot at us.”

HC will only play teams from the eleventh region this week and the next. This Friday, they will travel to Bryan Station High School. Both of next week’s games will be hosted at HC against Frederick Douglass High School and Sayre. More information for this season can be found on the team’s X page, formerly know as Twitter, @HCBluedevilsMBB.