Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

HC boys’ basketball stands undefeated

HC boys’ basketball varsity team and coaching staff.

Last week, the HC boys’ basketball team began their season with their game against Conner High School. Sophomore Jackson Stephan proved to be a valuable addition to the varsity program. With 16 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists, Stephan led HC to their first victory. The team is currently undefeated as they compete in the second week of the season. 

“I thought we played good,” Stephan said. “We can really shoot the ball well, and I thought we handled it well in crunch time.”

The home game against Tates Creek High School ended in double overtime with HC winning 81-75. Stephan scored 33 of the team’s total points.

“We are a young team,” Stephan said, “but we have more skilled players than last season. Although we are inexperienced I think we have a lot more skill, and we can shoot a lot better.”

Head Coach Daniel Brown is working to develop younger players and train them for the upcoming challenges of this year’s schedule.

“[Fredrick Douglass High School] is always good,” Stephan said. “We just work hard in practice. Coach Brown’s system is really good and helps us win a lot of games.”

The team will face Fredrick Douglass High School on January 23, allowing time for much preparation.

Stephan scored 12 points against Lincoln County High School on Tuesday night. The Blue Devils won 70-46 and will remain undefeated as they approach Friday’s game against Jeffersontown High School.