Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

HC girls’ soccer team striving for success

The HC girls soccer season is in full swing, and the team is looking to be successful building off of last year’s district championship. The team has a variety of strengths but is looking to improve in a number of areas, as well. HC senior and team captain Grace Plummer and junior Avery Allen explain how the season has been so far, and what can be done to reach a successful finish. 

The team is satisfied with how their season has gone so far, as the team has won some games and lost some. 

“We have our ups and downs,” Allen said. “But we definitely have pulled ourselves together. We definitely can end up with a positive goal differential by the end of the season.”

The team has a number of strengths, with their positive environment and team chemistry being their best.

“I think our biggest strength is our chemistry with each other,” Plummer said. “I think we all really like each other and it really helps us on and off the field.”

However, the team still has a number of things to address in order to be where they want to be by the end of the season.

“I feel we can communicate a lot more on the field,” Plummer said. “If we communicate on the field we can become a lot more successful.” 

Allen thinks the girls team can work on getting to the ball faster in practice.

“We could do a drill where we’re receiving balls from the air, like goal kicks or punts,” Allen said. “[Then] Being able to get to that ball first and getting it to our outsides and our forwards.”

The outcome for a successful season for the team is a District Championship, which the team was able to accomplish last season when they beat Frederick Douglass High School.

“I want to make it to regionals,” Plummer said. “I want to win districts and make it to the regional round.”

There are other teams competing for a championship, however, with the team’s rivals being the team to beat this year.

“I think our huge competition this year is Frederick Douglass,” Allen said. “I definitely think that we can beat them again this year, though.”

The HC girls soccer team is back in action on Saturday, September 23rd, as they face off against Russel County. The team looks to continue their successful season and challenge for another District Championship in October.