Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

HC boys’ soccer strides forward

The Henry Clay boys’ soccer team has just begun their regular season and they are already striving high for the postseason tournament. The progression of the season has induced hope for all, as this talented team is starting strong. As of September 1st, the Blue Devils have a record of 7-1, including impressive comeback wins from a deficit. This HC team is filled with immense talent, including the starting outside mid Diego Sanchez, who was named 2023 Kentucky Youth Soccer Association male player of the year.

“We want to win state,” Sanchez said. “We are really good at offense this year, for sure.”

Including Sanchez, there are other upperclassmen who help lead the team and provide support during games and practices. The level of intensity during these practices can be compared to extreme competition during games. The desire to perform well in the postseason tournament has pushed the team. 

“We are a lot more dedicated to a goal,” Senior Layth Rahman said. “We feel like we have a state championship in our reach, so we are all training at the highest possible level. I feel like the competition in practice is sometimes harder than competition in games.” 

The five seniors on varsity are trying to maximize the effect they have on the Henry Clay team for the future. The team bonding this year is very important off the field, in order to push the talent forward on the field. Many consider their favorite memory of playing high school soccer to be trips and events the team takes together, including trips to Paducah and Red River Gorge over the years. 

“Prepping these kids [underclassmen] is our goal,” Rahman said. “We have a really strong group of young players and we are trying to maximize what we can get out of this group of kids.”

The talent on this HC team extends beyond just the seniors. Junior Marco Messerli is one of the top goal-scorers on the team. As a striker, he leads the team’s offense to create opportunities of success. The excitement intensifies as this team moves forward onto harder competition. The more games played helps the team realize the potential they have.

“I am most excited for the Dunbar game on September 12th,” Messerli said. “They are two-time state champs.”

This season for boys soccer is one to watch, and the HC students should show support. The Blue Devils’ next home game is on Thursday, September 14th  and the theme is black-out.