Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

Paying for college: The wacky world of unusual scholarships

Scholarships are very often treated as something that will determine the course of your life, and missing out on them could lead to missed opportunities. Applying for scholarships is often treated as an event that could irrevocably alter the course of your life. Some scholarships seek to lighten the mood, while still helping to carry you through your higher education journey. 

Many of these scholarships ask for essays with creative prompts, to say the least. The Zombie Apocalypse Scholarship offers $2,000 to applicants who can offer the most creative method for surviving the zombie incursion. The Resume Genius scholarship rewards $1,000 to applicants who create exceptional resumes for fictional or historical characters. The Superpower Scholarship asks only 250 words on “Which superhero or villain would you want to change places with for a day and why?” for $2,500.

If essay writing isn’t your thing, don’t worry, as many other scholarships exist. For the giants among us, meaning above 5’ 10” for females and above 6’ 2” for males, a $1,000 Tall Club scholarship can be yours. If you’re Amish, the Amish Descendent Scholarship fund is handing out $25,000 worth of scholarships. Applications, however, are only available online. 

Scholarships for the most creative sandwich including JIF peanut butter, a competition to come up with the funniest story and make a panel of judges laugh the hardest, create the greatest marble tower, or if you demonstrate a talent for duck calling, a competition hosted in Arkansas puts $5,000 towards the college education of the participant with the greatest talent for duck calling. 

College is a serious matter, but it doesn’t need to suffocate you in anxiety and stress. A plethora of scholarships are available to help finance your further education. With deadlines fast approaching, however, there’s no time to waste.