Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

Dyer awarded Youth in Philanthropy award for leading HC’s DanceBlue chapter

EP Cassidy
Dyer holds her Philanthropy Award in front of the stage.

On November 8th, at the 36th Annual National Philanthropy Day in Lexington Kentucky, HC Senior Evelyn Dyer was awarded the National Youth in Philanthropy Award. Dyer has been a member of DanceBlue three years — this year leading the DanceBlue chapter at HC. This award recognizes the contributions of an individual at the point of nomination, who exhibit exceptional philanthropic leadership and dedication to the community. This is manifested through direct financial contributions, the establishment of charitable initiatives, active volunteering, and taking on leadership roles in philanthropic endeavors. 

The Embassy Suites in Lexington hosted this luncheon event. All attendees were provided meals as community members gave speeches regarding their philanthropic commitments throughout the year. Some of the 2023 Outstanding Community Honorees were God’s Pantry Food Bank, Kentucky Educational Television, and the American Red Cross Bluegrass Chapter. 

Dyer was asked to give a speech upon receiving her award to address her endeavors for the community.

“For me, volunteering doesn’t take much thought,” Dyer said. “I am motivated by my desire to make a difference in the world — if anything I do to help even the smallest amount, it is more than worth it.” 

Through Dance Blue, Dyer and her committee raised $3,525.17 for their mini marathon on November 10. This money is directly donated to the pediatric cancer research facilities at the University of Kentucky. This accomplishment had an opportunity to shine when Dyer was awarded.

“I would like to briefly mention DanceBlue,” said Dyer, “the organization that I am here to support. I am so grateful to have this platform to advocate for such a meaningful cause.”

As the overall head of HC’s DanceBlue chapter, Dyer was instrumental in the fundraising, planning, and execution of the mini-marathon, which took place on November 10. This event is by far the most important event for the club all year.

“It’s our biggest fundraising event and community builder, “Dyer said. “There were UK students and speakers there as well.”

Service is the heartbeat of the HC community as evidenced by Dyer’s leadership role in DanceBlue.