Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

Students share input on new school building

Students can share their opinions with Tate Hill Jacobs Architects by completing the student interest survey.

As HC is in the first stages of design for the new school building set to open in 2028, community input is a priority. On Tuesday, December 5th, there will be two Student Vision Workshops, hosted by Tate Hill Jacobs Architects, and facilitated by senior Joey Davenport. This will offer a chance for students to provide their opinions on the design for the new HC building. 

Davenport is focusing on the general construction of the new HC school building as a part of her Senior Seminar project, which is a self-guided and project-based course available to seniors in the Academy. One of Davenport’s primary concerns is sustainability, especially considering that HC has the largest carbon footprint out of any school in Fayette County. Davenport also works with Tate Hill Jacobs Architects to provide her perspective and the community’s perspective on priorities in the design process. 

“At the end of the day, this is a building that we will all be spending the majority of our time for these formative four years,” Davenport said. “We want it to be a very constructive place that isn’t just decided by admin.”

Although students often doubt the impact of their opinions on enacting change around HC, the Student Vision Workshops will provide direct input into the design process of the new building.

“The design team very much cares about student input,” Davenport said. “This is something that they’re very much looking forward to. I think any decisions made there will be heavily considered, and if it is plausible, applied.”

The workshop is structured in a way that will encourage a dialogue between students. Tate Hill Jacobs Architects will walk students through designs that have been implemented at newer FCPS buildings, such as Locust Trace, Tates Creek, and Frederick Douglass.

“Students will be able to go around the room and pick out designs that they like,” Davenport said. “We’ll have open discussions about them.”

The Student Vision Workshop comes after a similar workshop for teachers on November 14th and 28th. A survey was also available for HC staff to provide insight into potential building designs and priorities from a teacher’s standpoint. 

If students are interested in participating in the Student Vision Workshop, they should complete the student interest survey in their student email or from their advisory teachers, which is available to all students. The Student Vision Workshop will take place on Tuesday, December 5th in the library during sixth period and after-school. Participation will count as community service towards any programs with service requirements.