Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

ROIS data shows unsettling trends

Students failing classes is a critical problem at HC. Obtained via Infinite Canvas, ROIS data is used by administration to determine trends in who is failing what classes which helps them to know what needs to be fixed. They also use ROIS data to see what kinds of behavioral issues may be causing the problems and use it to adjust their disciplinary policies. ROIS data is further useful to see if the way the school is approaching the problems is succeeding or not. This data has been made available to the Devils’ Advocate. The following observations are based on the ROIS data.

1. Perhaps the most unexpected discovery was that of students failing classes, 33.4% of them are in the ninth grade. Additionally, this rate falls steadily as age increases, going as low as 17.7% for seniors.
  2. Although 651 ninth graders are failing a class, only 227 are failing either English or Math. 
  3. Of students failing a class, over half are failing two or more, and 12.94% are failing five or more classes.
  4. 56% of students failing a class are male, despite the fact that overall there are nearly equal numbers of male and female students at HC
  5. 9.4% of students failing a class are in the Liberal Arts Academy.
  6. The HC composite ACT score is 17.63, against 19.8 average national composite.