Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

HC theater produces a lively murder mystery

HC theater continues their tradition of producing a thrilling horror centered play for the fall semester. With their most recent production, Murder on the Orient Express, the fictional whodunit by Agatha Christie, the Henry Clay community follows detective Hercule Poirot as he boards the Orient Express with passengers of diverse backgrounds. However, when an unexpected murder takes place, Poirot is tasked with solving the case; consequently, he discovers that the murder is much more complex than anticipated. The portrayal of the classic murder mystery enthralls its audience with astounding performances and intricate production elements.

Similar to the mystery, the characters of MOTOE are many pieces that come together to create a memorable theatrical work. Although it may seem to have many characters, the script develops each character’s backstory, behavior, and their possible connection with the murder. The performers are the true spotlight of the show. From their line delivery to their subtle actions, the performers effectively embody their characters in a way that sets each one apart.

There’s an immense amount of detail placed in the visual aspect of the show. The theater department is able to bring the environment to life by incorporating the elements of snow and smoke. In addition, viewers will be met by a full scale train set, along with meticulous hair and costume design, immersing them into the era of the 1930’s. 

“The biggest [challenge] was the set design and having to incorporate the question, ‘How do we build a whole train on stage that can hold 12 to 15 people at a time?’” HC Theater Sponsor, Kiefer Shuler said. “Throwing the audience off and building the set were probably the biggest challenges.”

Apart from being a successful work in production, MOTOE is a thought-provoking story that wrestles with the concept of evil acts. The story demonstrates how an act of evil affects more than just a victim and a murderer. In the end, the story leaves audiences with a question they will be left to contemplate.

Overall, MOTOE will provide audiences with a profound mystery while showcasing the talent of Henry Clay. As for their next production, the theater department plans to present the story of Sweeny Todd in the spring semester.