Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

Easing the stress of college can be a necessary feat for seniors

Common+App+is+a+useful+tool+to+use+when+applying+to+schools.+
Common App is a useful tool to use when applying to schools.

As the school year progresses and nears closer to October, seniors are starting to prepare for college application deadlines. Most early decision applications are due November 1st and regular decision applications are usually due mid-January to early February. It is important for seniors to get a head-start on applications in order to ease the process and stress. 

One of the easiest ways to apply to multiple colleges is through Common App. Common App allows you to fill out all the basic information needed on applications and then the specifics, making the process of filling out applications a little easier. However, if you are applying to just a few schools, Common App is not as necessary, and it can be easier just to apply through the particular school’s website. 

Another helpful website for students to use when applying is Parchment. Parchment allows students to request their transcripts from their school. Parchment also offers a feature of showing students their chances of getting into the schools they are applying to, after filling out just a small amount of information. Parchment is a helpful tool to stay organized in what can be a stressful and hectic process. 

Another key part of filling out applications is applying for scholarships and Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This year the FAFSA changed, as the application process has been moved back and will not open until sometime in December- as of right now, a set date has not been released. This change will lead to delays in some people’s application process and submissions. 

In a time that can be tense and demanding for seniors, small things can make the process much easier. It is important for seniors to stay on top of their applications and deadlines. The sooner applications get filled out, the sooner the stress is over with and seniors can focus on the enjoyable and exciting aspects of their senior year. 

As we approach Fall Break, seniors should be taking up the opportunity to work on their college applications this upcoming week and get ahead.