Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

HC students earn national recognition

HC is proud to recognize its eight National Merit Semifinalists. Photo courtesy of the National Merit Scholarship Corporation.

Although the school year is just beginning, HC students are already in the news. Seniors are earning national recognition from the National Merit Scholarship Corporation and College Board for their hard work during junior year. 

This September, 51 Fayette County students were recognized as National Merit Semifinalists. These students are a part of 16,000 high school seniors who will compete for almost $28 million in scholarship money from the National Merit Scholarship Corporation during the spring. HC’s 2024 National Merit Semifinalists include Fatimah Alomar, William Brown, Leah Buzard, Avery Caldwell, Henry Carlson, Clinton Corkran, Layth Rahman, and Jason Tang. 

Two HC students, Evelyn Martinez and Isabella Martos, were awarded the National Hispanic Recognition Award (NHRA) from College Board. Senior Melahnia Browne received the National African American Recognition Award (NAARA), also from College Board. Both the NHRA and the NAARA are awarded to high school seniors with a GPA of at least 3.5 and an outstanding performance on the PSAT/NMSQT, PSAT 10, and/or AP Exams.

These awards show just the beginning of the Class of 2024’s accomplishments. HC is proud to support the Class of 2024 as they begin to accumulate awards and scholarship money.