Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

HC welcomes new head principal

New+head+principal+Dr.+Corye+Franklin+pictured+next+to+the+HC+emblem.+
Evie Smith
New head principal Dr. Corye Franklin pictured next to the HC emblem.

As much of the HC community knows, the school has a new principal- Dr. Corye Franklin. Franklin has had over a decade worth of experience in public schools, both teaching and as a school administrator in Indiana. Previously, Franklin has taught both elementary and high school. As he is fond of the high school environment, Franklin is excited to be the new head principal here at HC, even if that meant moving to Kentucky for the job. 

“Change is always good,” Franklin said. “I really enjoy high school and the opportunity just presented itself here. I enjoy working with high school students, so all of that made it that much easier for the relocation.”

As Franklin adapts and finds his way here at HC, his main focus is to listen and be receptive. 

“This first year one of the things that I’ve shared openly is that I want to listen and learn,” Franklin said. “I want to learn more about the HC way. I want to know what students enjoy about this school. I also want to know what supports and helps teachers. I want to hear from families [on] how they experience HC. That is my first order of business.”

Franklin’s main goal is to ensure the protection of students and make certain of their safety and security whilst they are in the school building. 

“I want to make sure students are safe,” Franklin said. “I also want to make sure we have a very robust academic offering so that students can take courses that are of high interest; they can be engaged from the time they get to school till the time they leave. [Also,] that students have a sense of pride in their school.”

As the first week of school has passed, Franklin is anticipating the rest of the school year and has high hopes for what will come.

“[I am] super excited,” Franklin said. “It’s been really nice getting to know students and getting a chance to just see how things happen here at Henry Clay. I’ve been very excited to learn students’ names and to see the types of activities students are involved in; also getting an opportunity to check out all the different extracurricular athletic activities that are awarded to students here. So far, so good. I’ve had a pretty neat week with students and learning more about Henry Clay.”

The move from Indiana to Kentucky, however, has proposed some new learning curves that Franklin has to adapt to. 

“I will say [Kentucky] is different from Indiana,” Franklin said. “There are lots of things that are different. One of the things that I continue to learn about is the various [Kentucky] senate bills that may impact the day-to-day in schools. As well as, the different funding sources for schools here. [Right now I’m] getting a chance to learn how school and the K-12 space functions in Kentucky versus in Indiana and being able to make any consistent comparisons.”

The HC community is just as thrilled to have Franklin as Franklin is to be at HC. As the school year continues, Franklin is committed to spending lots of time listening, observing, and learning the Blue Devil way.