Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

Nontraditional traditions are increasing in popularity at HC

As the holiday season has arrived, many students and their families have nontraditional ways of celebrating. These traditions can be passed through generations or newly adapted into the festivity of the season. 

A tradition that is starting to rise in popularity among HC students is Friendsgiving. This is a take on conventional Thanksgiving where you eat dinner with family, except it is strictly friends. This tradition can include a variety of fun aspects, including making the dinner formal. The act of getting together with friends in a fancy way does not happen often, and that is why this tradition is special for many. It is all about creating a warm and festive atmosphere, sharing delicious food, and making lasting memories with your chosen family.

“My favorite part about having Friendsgiving is having conversations that you wouldn’t normally have,” HC senior Harper Fredericks said. “At a formal dinner table, my friends and I made memories that will last a lifetime because of the atmosphere we put ourselves in.”

Another tradition that many HC students have implemented is opening one gift on December 24th, before Christmas day. This adds extra excitement as it teases what is to come the next morning. This tradition allows families and friends to gather together and exchange thoughtful presents while adding to the anticipation and magic of the holiday season. 

To add onto this, a perfect way to celebrate is to order Chinese cuisine from your local restaurant, as many are open on Christmas Eve. The combination of eating dinner and opening gifts with family is something that cannot be replicated. Many families do not want to cook dinner on Christmas day, so ordering Chinese cuisine is the perfect alternative.

The act of giving gifts is something that spreads love for each other. Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanza are all times when people show their gratitude towards their loved ones.  A White Elephant gift exchange is an affordable way to give gifts to friends during the holidays. The rules are simple: everyone brings a wrapped, anonymous gift and takes turns picking or stealing gifts from one another. You get a random draw for the order of choosing gifts, and you can either steal or keep your mystery gift. This adds surprise and joy to your holiday, and many HC students are adding their special elements including themes and extra rules. This also extends to HC teachers, as they are also participating in this gift exchange.

The nontraditional traditions are what make each person’s holiday season special. Spending time with friends and family is important, and adding these festivities into your routine could make the end of the year even better.