Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

The absence of reading creates concern for today’s youth

Sydney Cain
Fiction shelves in the HC Library.

Widely known and referenced pieces, such as the works of Shakespeare and Homer, are all great literary samples. Literature holds an abundance of power over its readers, and it is crucial in shaping children into prosperous beings. Novels are often acknowledged by modern successful figures as the key to their success. However, books are not currently being utilized by children like they once were. The lack of literary consumption should be of high concern for our youth. Literature is an advantageous resource for children growing up and must be recognized as such. 

In the world’s current progressive era, modern forms of entertainment have grown in popularity and usage. Television and social media have lowered the prioritization of reading. Though screen usage can be necessary, it is mostly a poor source of amusement for children. Television does not engage imaginations or facilitate intellectual growth, interfering with the development of young minds. In fact, the use of screens has proven to have negative affects on one’s health. 

Reading supports quality mental health that is necessary to grow mature. Stories captivate minds and provide an outlet of escape from anxiety. Books are a much more effective resource to maintain good mental health because they fully engage the reader with interesting plots and characters. Reading demands a high level of attention, allowing the reader to become more actively involved with and attached to the story. In order to achieve thriving states of mental health among children, reading must be an ordinary practice.

The perspectives of various authors and their characters support intellectual advancement. Story lines expose children to worlds different from their own. These perspectives are essential to enlighten and educate children. The range of novels and authors promotes diverse thinking as readers develop empathy for characters that are different from themselves. Additionally, acquiring writing techniques and advanced vocabulary is achieved through reading. Literature supports and prepares children for future successes, and so it should be a utilized resource.

Literature is being taken for granted as the world seems to leave these pieces behind. More often than recognized, children lack sources of inspiration. It would be shameful to deprive them of reading and all its benefits.