Implementation of badges begins new security procedures

At the beginning of January, HC along with other FCPS high schools, has started the implementation of ID Badges. Students, along with teachers and administrators, have been adjusting to wearing the badges at all time.

“There’s been about three percent that have been struggling [when it comes to wearing the badges],” Little said.

For some students, wearing the badge has become more a burden rather than a safety measure.

“The only problem is getting all students adjusted to having one more thing to remember as a high school student,” Little said.

The scan code has made the badges more functional throughout the school.

“A lot of students have liked being able to check in in attendance or check out books in the library,” Little said. “The goal was to make these badges as functional as possible. The more functional we can make it, the more value it holds.”

Students have expressed their complaints with Little, but the district requires all high schools to have ID badges.

“I’ve talked to a couple of students that don’t really like them,” Little said. “I can understand, everyone’s got their own perspective. Change is uncomfortable sometimes, even if it is a good change it can still be uncomfortable.”

Teachers have been seeing the positive and negative aspects of the badges.

“The only complication I have seen is students having to wait in line for a fairly extended period of time to get replacement badges,” HC teacher Bandon Slone said. “Because it’s just Mr. Zuckerman replacing them, it’s difficult for him as just one person to print multiple badges.”

The ID badges allows teachers to easily identify students in the hallways.

“To me, the biggest positive is that it’s easier to identify students,” Slone said. “If I don’t know a student’s name then I can look at their badge and quickly understand who that student is. Which for me in the hallway, if I’m approaching a student, and I can call them by name, it makes it a lot easier to address that student.”

The administrators have been working as a team to improve the safety of the building.

“I think our administration does a really good job at being visible,” Slone said. “If you notice between classes, our administration is always in the hallway, they are always walking or checking doors. They’re doing everything they can possible do.”

Students have expressed concern as the badges shouldn’t be the only step to making the building safer.

“I think they’re a good start,” HC junior Meghan Jennings said. “I don’t feel that the badges are going to be what protects us.”

Some upcoming changes at HC will be metal detectors, a new enclosed vestibule, and more counselors.