Blue Devils walk out to remember Parkland students and voice their opinions on school safety

by Abby Reichart and Kennedy Foreman

Schools across the nation have joined forces to take a stand and pay tribute to the seventeen lives that were taken during the Parkland shooting on Feb.14. Mar. 14 marks one month since the tragedy took place. Hundreds of students took to the snowy field for seventeen minutes at 10am, the time in which the shooting at Parkland began.

Students passionately took to the field to voice their opinions on gun violence. Photo by Nina Rennard.

Students have joined together to share their perspectives and raise their voices in support of increased measures for school safety. Two HC seniors, Brantley Acke and Myriah Robinson have worked to plan the walkout with the help of others. Each of them had one goal in mind for this event, and that was to take a stand and to let others know it’s time to make a change.
“We want to pay tribute to the seventeen victims and to show our support for the families that were affected,” Acke said.
Students held signs promoting gun control and action. Students that planned the walkout met on Mar.8 to make signs for the events. The event was student run, and the motives of the students were genuine.
“I have family that lives in Florida,” HC junior Destiny Cole said, “and it was nerve wracking to find out that [the Parkland shooting] had happened. When the gun was found here at our school and [with] everything that has been going on at other schools, I feel like being a student that we need to take a stand.”
The main subject of the walkout was to commemorate the shooting victims. However, the event was also used to advocate for harsher gun laws.

Students held up signs in support of legislative action. Photo by Luke Webster.

“I’m hoping that this brings attention to the government,” Acke said,“and that they can do more background checks on guns and control it a little more than is right now.”
The walkout was planned nationwide. Even though HC is just one school, Robinson hopes that the message will be heard by politicians.
“With many schools, like us, that joined in and did the protest, we can create more awareness,” Robinson said. “I know the superintendent has talked about implementing metal detectors now. I know we are being heard in our own county and district. Hopefully it [reaches out] everywhere else.”

HC Principal Paul Little stands with students as they protest recent gun violence and remember Parkland students. Photo by Nina Rennard.

This is the first planned protest, however many more are scheduled to occur within the next two months. This includes the march at Frankfort on Mar.20 as well as another walkout on Apr.20. FCPS has not commented at this point on whether they will support these events. Administration and district personnel were vocal in their support for the Parkland memoriam today.