Wrapping up the September 2019 SBDM meeting

SBDM meeting in session

Nina Rennard, Editor

The September 11th SBDM meeting began with HC Parent Representative Kim Thompson reporting the placement of 100 new anti-vaping posters around HC. HC boy’s soccer have had outstanding national rankings recently, being ranked third in the nation at the time of the meeting. The dance team has also had success with their performances this year.

HC Principal Paul Little gave a report on the first day of armed door alarms, saying that the school  had very few instances of alarms being activated, with most being mistakes.

HC also gained a new interim principal, Jamie “JJ” Allen, after Brian Miller’s last day in early September. Little also designated him co-chair of SBDMC during this meeting.

HC Student Representative Grace Ramey gave a summary on student council’s work on the pep rally. Scheduled for Sept. 12, the pep rally was unfortunately delayed to October 17 due to the intense heat.

Another point of interest was Sources of Strength, a new initiative to strengthen HC students’ mental health. This program began with over 50 HC students and 20 teachers participating. This group has plans to work on projects for HC to help create a more positive environment for mental health, including encouraging bulletin boards or videos. This process to create a more mental health conscious school is being assisted by the arrival of HC’s new Mental Health Specialist, Dontryse Greer.

The next SBDM meeting will be held Oct. 9 at 5:30 in the HC library.