Van McKinley looks forward to dive career at UK

Reece Ingram, Editor-in-Chief

In the past four years, Van McKinley has been a large part of the HC Swim and Dive Team. Despite facing challenges in her high school dive career, McKinley’s determination and talent have earned her a spot on the University of Kentucky’s Swim and Dive Team.

“[University of Kentucky] had the best resources,” Van McKinley said. “This includes academics, athletics, and nutrition. It just felt like home to me.”

McKinley started her dive career in the fifth grade at Idle Hour Country Club during the summer season.

“I have had so many coaches over the years,” McKinley said. “Each one has focused on a different aspect of my diving and my personal life. They have all helped me grow as a person and as a diver.”

Some of McKinley’s greatest achievements were earned at HC. Not only has she been the State Champion twice, McKinley holds the current record for the 11 Dives Event. With the support of her coaches, McKinley’s passion was able to flourish.

“Three words come to mind: Competitive. Talented. Driven,” says HC Swim and Dive Coach Daniel Porter in an interview with Spectrum News 1.

McKinley has learned some valuable lessons being a part of a team like HC’s. These lessons have allowed her to grow as a teammate and as an individual.

“I have learned that winning isn’t everything,” McKinley said. “Being a part of team like that, especially such a big team, just learning that making relationships with people is more important.”

HC staff and students will miss McKinley but look forward to her successful career at UK.