Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

New HC bathroom protocol receives mixed opinions

As we know the bathroom situation at HC this year has been a concerning issue. Admin has tried many ways to fix the problem but none have seemed to work. Teachers and principals at HC have come up with a way to help solve the problem. From now on there will be at least two teachers in every bathroom during class change, which will help to decrease the number of students in the restroom at one time. Before students would use the bathroom as a place to hang out with their friends, but now with the new protocol, the bathroom might get used for its intended purpose.

“So far the two days I have done [bathroom duty] I can tell that a lot of kids who probably would’ve hung out there are on their way,” HC special education teacher Jennifer Imel said. “So people go in there do what they need to do and leave.”

Imel believes that the new system will be beneficial. She monitors from 8:20 to 8:25 in the morning in the downstairs orange hallway girls’ bathroom by the cafeteria. Imel understands why kids may not want teachers in the bathrooms, but she advocates for the kids who need to use the bathroom and are unable to if it is being used as a social place.

“Although I’m not thrilled with being in the bathrooms,” HC Social Studies teacher Aaron Cain said. “I think if it means no more busted pipes and having running water in the bathroom – it’s worth it.”

Cain is another teacher who works bathroom duty in the downstairs boys’ bathroom in the orange hallway. His time slot is from 1:15 to 1:20. Cain, along with other HC teachers, were worried about destruction in the boys’ bathrooms. Now with teacher supervision, there will be less harm to school property. It also gives the teachers some benefits.

“I like [the change],” HC math teacher Sarah Zehnder said, “because I get into the bathroom now, which is right across the hallway from me, instead of having to go all the way down to the other end of the building.”

Zehnder monitors the orange upstairs girls bathroom on the cafeteria side from 1:15 to 1:20. Zehnder supports the rule enforcement because she feels like it will be beneficial to her and the students.

Although not all teachers or students agree or like the fact they have to monitor the bathrooms they make it feel like a safer place. The adult supervision in the restrooms may decrease perhaps over time, but for now most teachers agree that adding this supervision was the right move to make.