Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

Moviegoers anticipate theatrical releases for 2024

From an intoxicated killer bear to the colorful lives of plastic dolls, the year of 2023 provided audiences with some memorable narratives and film experiences. As the calendar shift approaches, here are some upcoming theatrical releases to look forward to in 2024.

Bob Marley: One Love (February 14, 2024)

Based on the life of the reggae icon, Bob Marley: One Love is a biographical showcase of the singer/songwriter’s life and legacy. Produced by members of the Marley family, the film will capture his journey through the chaotic world that led to his revolutionary songs of peace and unity. 

Dune 2 (March 1, 2024)

After the events of six-time Academy Award winning Dune, Paul Atreides embarks on a quest to restore the peace of Arrakis. With Denis Villeneuve returning to direct, Dune: Part Two is sure to provide a satisfying expansion for the world of Dune and culmination to the science fiction novel adaptation.

Kung Fu Panda 4 (March 8, 2024)

After almost a decade, DreamWorks Animation returns with another adventure featuring the legendary Dragon Warrior. Kung Fu Panda 4 will follow Po as he is tasked with searching and training his successor, while having to face a villain who wields the ability to take the form of foes from his past. 

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (March 29, 2024)

When an evil paranormal force is unleashed upon New York City, the Ghostbusters will answer the call to protect their home from a second Ice Age. Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire will bring back familiar and new faces together to face a bone-chilling threat unlike anything they’ve seen before.

Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire (March 29, 2024)

With the previous Monsterverse installment bringing Godzilla and King Kong together for a groundbreaking showdown, Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire will reunite the two titans to battle a new threat to them and humanity. The story will further explore the origins and histories of these monsters while providing a colossal team-up perfect for the big screen.

Unsung Hero (April 26, 2024)

Based on a true story, Unsung Hero follows the story of a family’s journey from Australia to the United States. As the parents, David and Helen Smallbone, set out to build a better future for their family, they begin to discover the remarkable talents reflected in their children who would become some of the most successful names in the music industry.

The Fall Guy (May 3, 2024)

Based on the series of the same name, The Fall Guy centers around an aging stunt double who uses his skills and knowledge in stunt work to investigate the disappearance of the actor he is doubling for. Directed by David Leitch, the action comedy picture will feature actors, Ryan Gosling, Emily Blunt, Winston Duke, and Aaron Taylor Johnson. 

Inside Out 2 (June 14, 2024)

With the concept of puberty vaguely implied at the end of the first film, Inside Out 2 will focus further on the mental changes experienced in adolescence. This sequel will expand upon the evolution of the teenage mind by introducing new emotions such as Anxiety, Ennui, Embarrassment, and Envy.

Deadpool 3 (July 26, 2024)

While the plot has remained a mystery, Deadpool 3 will serve as the third installment of the Deadpool franchise and the character’s introduction into the Marvel Cinematic Universe along with additional Marvel characters such as Wolverine and Elektra. With the current state of the MCU, Deadpool 3 will be a refreshing return to the humorous and brutal nature of the titular character.