Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

Student altercations spawn bedlam

The morning of October 20th was plagued by fights. Many students first noticed this when they were walking into school and saw/heard a police car racing behind the school, as well as an ambulance out front. It was reported that 15 students were involved in the altercation and two girls were arrested following. Pepper spray was also deployed. Since pepper spray was deployed, it is protocol for EMTs to come to the school, hence why students reported seeing an ambulance out front. The cafeteria is being ventilated, as well. 

“Lexington Police and Fire Departments responded to assist our officers and administrative team and provide medical care for anyone that may have come in contact with the pepper spray,” HC Principal Corye Franklin said in his email to HC parents. “The FCPS Police Department and Lexington Police Department are currently conducting an investigation.  Students involved will face appropriate disciplinary consequences, and potentially criminal charges.”  

In addition, first hour was held over the bell because of the disarray that transpired. 

This series of events raises many concerns. One of which is the new rule that students are not allowed out of the cafeteria until 8:15. This causes large numbers of students to gather in the cafeteria, which could possibly create an environment for fights and trouble to occur. This environment should have never been put in place. While it has eased morning transition, the safety of students should take priority. 

Another concerning factor of these fights is the use of pepper spray. Pepper spray should be used sparingly and not with any amount of ease. The police officers viewed the situation as enough of a threat to pepper spray the student to the ground. The police officers then, allegedly, proceeded to place the student on the ground in handcuffs.

Many new policies have been instituted this school year concerning negative student interactions and ways to limit them. However, the series of events this morning should raise the question of whether these policies are effective or if they should be rethought and re-addressed. 

Regardless, the safety of students should be the number one priority for everyone in HC.