Spring semester is full of senior activities

Leah Barnard, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Following the student-faculty basketball game Friday, February 20, seniors are anxiously anticipating what HC senior officers have planned for the remainder of the semester. In years prior, senior officers have primarily focused on prom; however, this year students can expect a variety of upcoming events.

The senior class officers are overseen by Denise Minor, a chemistry teacher, and senior coordinator at HC. Her role is to assist the officers in planning events and making sure they stay within their financial constraints.

“Before winter break, the officers planned the student-faculty basketball game, and arranged to have a senior benefit,” Minor said. “Traditionally, the rehearsals for senior benefit have begun in November, but they plan to do an abbreviated senior benefit this year.”

Rehearsals begin the first week of February and last throughout the month. There will be three performances starting on Wednesday, February 22 after school, Thursday, February 23 during fifth and sixth periods, and Friday, February 24 during second and third periods. Seniors can still sign up to be involved with senior benefit if they see Minor in room 143.

“ I have a contract for seniors to sign that ensures they will commit to the practice time,” Minor said. “Skits have been started, and they are gearing up for a great senior benefit.”

In addition to the senior benefit, senior officers have begun planning prom.  Prom is set to be on Saturday, April 29th in the HC gym. The theme is “Let’s Dance at the Disco”, mimicking a 70’s disco party. Tickets are set at thirty dollars each and will be sold two weeks prior to prom. Students can see Minor if they plan on bringing someone who doesn’t attend HC. 

“Prom will not look anything like the past two proms,” Minor said. “We are inside and will be using some things that have not been used at HC before in order to decorate.”

Senior sunset, senior awards, and graduation are other upcoming events for seniors. Due to graduation not being a set date, these events have not been scheduled yet. However, seniors can expect these events to take place sometime within the month of May.

“The senior officers have been proactive in planning events for this semester,” Minor said. “Seniors can anticipate a variety of upcoming events.”