Spring sports at HC allow for more student involvement

Sydney Cain, Reporter

Trying out for one of HC’s sports teams is a great way to participate in the spring semester. There are many options for both girls and boys during the spring sport season. Some sports better suit certain students than others based on their personal athletic abilities. In order for any student to participate, an updated sports physical is needed.

HC has a boys’ and girls’ lacrosse team. Girls’ lacrosse involves less contact. Their equipment only includes a stick, mouth guard, goggles, gloves, and cleats. Boys’ lacrosse calls for further equipment, consisting of a helmet, stick, mouth guard, gloves, shoulder pads, arm pads, and cleats. The objective of the game is to score more goals than the opposing team. To score, you must throw the ball with your stick past the goalie and into the net. When on defense, the goal is to prevent the opposing team from scoring. The boys’ lacrosse coach is HC teacher Ben Ternosky and the girls’ coach is Brianna McCulley.

HC’s tennis program is open to both boys and girls. Players will need to dress in athletic attire and be equipped with a racket. Tennis is a competitive and fast paced sport. Tennis is played by hitting a ball across a net and keeping it inside the court’s boundaries. To score the point, your opponent must not play the ball back across the net and into the court. Therefore, it is important to be strategic about where you hit the ball in correlation to where your opponent is on the court. The boys’ head coach is John Herring and the girls’ head coach is Christy Herring.

HC has both a boys’ baseball team and a girls’ softball team. Baseball and softball are both played on outdoor fields. The equipment does not vary much between the two; you will need a glove, bat, helmet and cleats. The objective of baseball and softball is to achieve more home runs than the opposing team in the span of nine innings. Home runs are achieved by running through each base before getting back to home base. Your team will be batting and attempting to obtain home runs in one half of an inning. During the other half of the inning, you will try to prevent the opposing team from reaching home base, and thus becoming out. Once the batting team receives three outs, that half of the inning is over. The baseball team’s head coach is Jordan Tarrence. The softball team’s head coach is HC teacher Tim McCoy.

Track and field is another sport HC offers for boys and girls. It is a collection of competitions using skills such as running, jumping, and throwing. Track and field events, called meets, take place on a running track or in a field dependent on the category in which you compete in. Track events include sprints, middle-distance, long-distance, hurdle and relay races. Field events consist of discus, javelin, shot put, and hammer throws. Pentathlon, heptathlon, and decathlon are all categorized as combined events. The equipment used for these events will differ, but it is essential to have appropriate footwear. HC’s track and field coach is our own Demetrius Gay.

Spring sports bring students the opportunity to discover new passions. Becoming a part of a program is a fulfilling experience that leaves you with new friends and arising interests. In order to obtain more information, contact the coach of the sport in which you desire.