Devils' Advocate

The Student News Site of Henry Clay High School

Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate

Fryman shares 2022 Grammy predictions

Grammy’s on April 3rd at 8 p.m.

The biggest night in music is approaching on April 3rd. With the Grammy’s nearing, there’s a lot of discussion about the nominees and who has the potential to sweep the categories.

One of the biggest categories of the night is Record of the Year. This award focuses on the people who worked on a track or single from an album. The nominees for the 2022 Record of the Year award are:

• “I Still Have Faith In You”: ABBA
  • “Freedom”: Jon Batiste
  • “I Get A Kick Out Of You”: Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga
  • “Peaches”: Justin Beiber featuring Daniel Caesar and Giveon
  • “Right On Time”: Brandi Carlile
  • “Kiss Me More”: Doja Cat featuring SZA
  • “Happier Than Ever”: Billie Eilish
  • “Montero (Call Me By Your Name)”: Lil Nas X
  • “drivers license”: Olivia Rodrigo
  • “Leave The Door Open”: Silk Sonic

From these nominees, I believe “Kiss Me More”, “Happier Than Ever”, and “drivers license” are most likely to win. With the success of the album SOUR by Olivia Rodrigo, I wouldn’t be surprised if she won in at least one of the big categories. The song “drivers license” was a big hit early January of last year, remaining at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 for eight weeks. As a debut single, that’s a pretty big deal. 

As for the other two songs, “Kiss Me More” by Doja Cat featuring SZA was a very popular song in the summertime. With a fun, up-beat feeling, “Kiss Me More” was the perfect summer hit. It remained in the Billboard Hot 100’s Top 10 for 19 weeks. Over the past couple of years, Doja’s success as an artist has grown rapidly. With songs like “Say So”, “Need To Know”, and “Kiss Me More” going viral on social media apps such as TikTok, it’s easy to see why she’s popular. If Doja won this grammy, it would be her first win at the awards.

The final song I believe has the best chance at winning is “Happier Than Ever” by Billie Eilish. The song starts off as a slow ballad before shifting into a rock song. The song and album of the same name, are another talk of the Grammys this year. It’s no secret that Eilish has quite a few Grammy wins. Back in 2020, Eilish won the top three categories of Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Album of the Year with her first studio album When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? These wins solidified Eilish’s name in the industry. It wouldn’t be a surprise to me if she ended up taking some of the big categories in this year’s Grammy ceremony as well.

As a fan of all three songs and artists, I would be happy if any of them won. However, I would like to see Doja or Olivia win their first Grammy. I believe that “drivers license” is most likely to win.

The next category for the Grammys is Song of the Year. This category focuses on the song writing rather than the production of the song. The nominees are:

• “Bad Habits”: Ed Sheeran
  • “A Beautiful Noise”: Alicia Keys featuring Brandi Carlile
  • “drivers license”: Olivia Rodrigo
  • “Fight For You”: H.E.R
  • “Happier Than Ever”: Billie Eilish
  • “Leave The Door Open”: Silk Sonic
  • “Peaches”: Justin Beiver featuring Daniel Caesar & Giveon
  • “Right On Time”: Brandi Carlile

This category rewards the actual song writers rather than those who just perform it. For this category, I feel “drivers license”, “Happier Than Ever”, “Leave The Door Open”, and “Fight For You” have the best chance at winning in this category.

All of these songs have not only done well on the charts but some also have a deeper meaning behind their lyrics. For example, “Fight For You” by H.E.R is centered around different kinds of fights. There’s a verse about feeling the hate from others and another mentioning freedom. Out of all of the songs on this list, this one has the most impactful lyrics. H.E.R also won this award at last year’s Grammys, making it slightly less likely (but not impossible) that she would win.

The other songs in the category had success on the radio, giving them the credit and attention they would need to succeed in this category. One of the biggest songs on the list “drivers license” is another song with potential to win. Olivia Rodrigo has had a successful debut year with two number one songs and a number one album with over six billion streams currently. In my opinion, there’s no way Rodrigo is walking out with nothing.

The final major category is Album of the Year. This award rewards all of the people who participated in creating an album. The nominees are:

• “We Are”: Jon Bastie
  • “Love For Sale”: Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga
  • “Justice (Triple Chucks Deluxe)”: Justin Beiber
  • “Planet Her (Deluxe)”: Doja Cat
  • “Happier Than Ever”: Billie Eilish
  • “Back Of My Mind”: H.E.R
  • “Montero”: Lil Nas X
  • “Sour”: Olivia Rodrigo
  • “Evermore”: Taylor Swift
  • “Donda”: Kanye West

Out of these albums, “Sour”, “Happier Than Ever”, “Montero”, and “Planet Her” have the best chances at winning this title. Out of these albums, I feel “Sour”, “Happier Than Ever”, and “Planet Her” could take it. With the success of “Sour” by Olivia Rodrigo, I feel she could win the title with her debut album.

“Planet Her” and “Happier Than Ever” are two other albums that are strong contenders for the award. “Planet Her” is Doja Cat’s sophomore album. A fun pop/hip-hop album that came out with several hit singles prior to the release of the album. It would be a great choice for Album of the Year.

“Happier Than Ever” is also Billie Eilish’s sophomore album. Eilish took a more mature approach to this album after her debut album “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go”. The album discusses important topics such as getting away from a toxic relationship and getting over lost friendships. 

Overall, all albums are deserving of the credit that they get. Hard work went into their creation and the people behind these songs and projects deserve to be rewarded for it.

The 2022 Grammys will air on April 3rd at 8 PM.