HC introduces a new chess club

Jeremy Castillo Hernandez, Reporter

It has almost been one year since students have had the opportunity to see their peers in-person. Students are looking forward to the social interaction, and clubs offer that. Many are familiar with the Netflix miniseries “The Queen’s Gambit” which has caused many to start an interest in chess. Now Henry Clay is introducing a Chess Club.

Chess Club can introduce you to new  strategies, new people, and a new hobby. Many are familiar with the classic game, but not many actually know the rules and different strategies. HC Mathematics teacher Sarah Zehnder is sponsoring the Chess Club this year.

Even if you don’t know how to play, it’s one of the only places right now you can come and spend time with your peers during COVID,” Zehnder said. “We will teach you how to play and help you to learn.” 

Chess can be more than just a hobby. Chess can benefit students in mental ways. For instance chess is able to improve memory from the many different strategies you can memorize. Chess can also develop perspective as the player must predict what their opponent’s next move will be. 

“Chess develops problem solving skills, confidence and comradery among peers,” Zehnder said. 

With this in mind, students will be able to come together, learn a well known game, and most importantly have fun. Students will be meeting every Thursday in Room 165 at 3:30-4:30. If anyone is interested contact Sarah Zehnder at [email protected] for more information about joining HC’s Chess Club.